Friday, February 24, 2012

Paths Not Taken

Under the heading of "paths not taken", I'd like to go back to the Spring of 1972. I was just about finished with my BA, but not sure where I wanted to go from there. A sorority sister of mine, Donna Chesus, whom I considered to be a fairly intelligent woman, proclaimed that she was going to join the Navy and find a red blooded American man, as she was sick and tired of all these draft dodging college boys. It sounded like a great idea - meet new people, travel new places, have new experiences. I went home and ran it by my parents (I was a very well behaved child) and my Father, an ex-Marine, informed me that only whores and lesbians went into the service. Since I did not qualify for either of those labels, I crossed military service off my list of things to do. I have often wished I'd ignored my Father's narrow minded advice. Ideally, I'd have loved it, grown from it, and found a similarly minded man to marry in it. My life would have been significantly different. But wait, you say. If you had married a different man you wouldn't have your children! And to that I say, "Maybe I would have had better ones!" and conversely, maybe my children would have had better parents! Only the shadow knows! (and regarding Donna Chesus, she is today a Rear Admiral in the US Navy, stationed in Hawaii.) Paths not taken.............

5 comments:

  1. And my parents insisted I not buy a VW bug (rear-engined), but were okay with the Fiat (rear-engined) that failed in Cedar Rapids and led to my hitch-hiking from Iowa to New York.

    Games of what-if. I give you the movie: Sliding Doors http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120148/

    Informed by your past... what paths/cross-roads still lie ahead? You could move to Iowa! ;-)

    I enjoyed your post. Verrryyy inntteerrrtttinggg! (1971 Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in)

    ReplyDelete
  2. U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Donna (Chesus) Crisp (1971, B.A., family and consumer sciences) is the new commander of the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command in Hawaii, which oversees identification and recovery of service members from all U.S. military branches lost in previous conflicts. She was director for Manpower and Personnel for the Joint Staff at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. (CSULB alum)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full Navy Biography Donna Crisp (as 2008)

    http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=83

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: Leslie lived in Bay Shore... the birth place of... Rear Admiral Donna Crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a senior in high school, along with my various ambitions to be an architect, an archeologist, a forest ranger, a history professor, and be in the Foreign Service, I wanted to join the navy. I told my parents about this, and boy did they go crazy!

    ReplyDelete